Quick tips for sowing sweet peppers and chillies
The purpose of sowing is to produce transplants from which the crop is grown.
- Getting started: Sow into seed trays filled with fine-textured compost.
- Sowing dates:
- January to Februrary for slower-maturing varieties.
- February to mid-March for the faster-maturing varieties, including most of the C. annuum species.
- Sowing depth: 6mm.
- Sowing temperature: 25-27˚C, though anywhere from 21˚-32˚C will do.
- Top tip: Expose seedlings to strong light as soon as they emerge.
For more information on growing chillies see: