Quick tips for sowing cucumbers
The purpose of sowing is to produce transplans from which the crop is grown.
- Getting started: Sow into seed trays filled with fine-textured compost.
- Sowing date:
- For growing undercover: late April to May.
- For growing outdoors: late May to June.
- Sowing depth: 10mm.
- Sowing temperature: Optimum is 24-25˚C, though anywhere from 21˚C – 32˚C will do.
- Top tips:
- Expose seedlings to strong light as soon as they emerge.
- Never water seedlings in the late afternoon or evening since this will cause damping off.
- The traditional advice of planting seed on its side is an old wives' tale – don't believe it.