The purpose of sowing is to produce transplants from which the crop is grown.
- Getting started: Sow into seed trays filled with fine-textured compost.
- Sowing date: February to mid-March.
- Sowing depth: 6mm.
- Sowing temperature: 24-32˚C.
- Top tip: Expose seedlings to strong light as soon as they emerge.
- Prick-out: When seedlings have two leaves plant into individual 9cm pots.
- Potting on: When roots have filled the pot transplant plant into final growing place (pot of ground)
For more information on growing aubergines see “How to grow aubergines“