Buy your chilli seeds here!
To get the best chilli growing experience you need to buy the chilli varieties that best suit your needs, regarding both the growing and the cooking/eating.
There are several criteria to consider:
- Heat level – How hot do you want your chillies? We sell seed of very mild to superhot chillies; to see the chillies listed by heat level click here.
- Plant size – How much space have you got? We sell varieties that range in size from small and good on a windowsill (e.g. Stumpy), to very large and better in a greenhouse (e.g. Tinkerbell).
- Fruit type – What type of cooking do you do? Match the chillies you grow to the dishes you will want to cook. We separate our chillies into spice-type, vegetable-type, habaneros and superhots to help with the decision.
- Fruit flavour – What flavour do you like in your chilies? Different chillies have different flavours; roughly, habanero chillies are fruity, others have a 'pepper' flavour.
- Ease of growing and earliness – How experienced are you at growing chillies? Generally, habaneros (which includes the superhots) are harder to grow and ripen later than other varieties.
- Appearance – Is attractiveness important to you? There are some very beautiful chilli varieties, e.g. Fairy Lights. If you are going to grow a plant in your conservatory or on windowsill make it dual purpose – ornamental and edible.
For more help on selecting the best chilli varieties for your needs see our 'choosing the chilli right variety' article.